Translate

Sunday, August 19, 2007

How Should I Pray?

God loves us and wants a relationship with us. If we do not spend time with God in prayer, basically we are telling God that He is not worthy of our time or concern. As Christians, that is certainly not the message we want to send to God. As children of God, we will feel compelled to talk to God.

God Is Our Strength
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble."
Psalm 46:1

So once we have the will to talk to God and express our love for Him, how do we tell Him? I've talked with people who claim either they do not know how to pray or that they don't pray. My question is "Don't or Won't?" There is a big difference. For those that choose not to pray are choosing not to have a relationship with God. If this is your case, you should explore your heart and determine if you really are a Christian. Be honest with yourself.

The Lord's prayer is Jesus' example of how to pray. His prayer is found in Matthew 6:6-13.

If you haven't ever prayed before, keep it simple. There are no magic words or phrases. Tell God how you feel. If you are scared, tell Him. Ask for His protection or deeper faith. A way to keep your thoughts organized might be as follows:

Dear God:
1) God is Holy.
2) Thank you for . . . .
3) Please . . . .
In Jesus Name I pray. Amen.

An example prayer in this simple outline might be as follows:

Dear Heavenly Father,
1) You are an awesome God and heavenly father. Your creation of the heavens and earth are beyond my comprehension. Hallowed be Your Name. To you, I bow down and worship and trust only in you.
2) Thank you for all the blessings in my life. You have blessed me with 2 children, loving parents, a loving spouse, and good health. Thank you for my home, car, and food you provide for me on a daily basis. From you all blessings flow.
3) Please be with my Aunt (name), who is suffering from (disease). Please heal her body according to Your Will. I pray that you would minimize or eliminate any pain she might have. Please also be with the lost (people who haven't accepted Jesus as Lord). Please soften their hearts so they might hear your call and come to you. Please use me in any way you can as your vessel to accomplish works to bring glory to Your Name.
In Jesus Name I pray. Amen.

Talk to God in the way you would talk to your earthly parents. He is your Father and wants to hear from you. He loved you before He created the world. Then He created you. I remember being a child and wanting to sit in my parents' lap. I remember telling my parents how much I loved them. What a feeling of security and joy! Now that I'm a parent, my children want to sit in my lap to be close to me, and I understand what they are feeling and how I make them feel. That is exactly how God, your Heavenly Father, feels about you and the relationship He wants with you. He is your security and joy! And He wants you to come sit in His lap.

Sit With Me On My Throne
Jesus said, "To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne."
Revelation 3:21

Trust in Jesus today. Accept Him as your personal Savior and LORD. Say a simple prayer, and continue to pray daily in your relationship with Him. He loves you and wants to hear from you. God bless you!

No comments: